We use cookies on your computer or mobile device to help make this website better. You can find out what Cookies we use and how you can change your settings here. Our Data Protection Policy has been updated.

By closing this window, we’ll assume you’re okay to continue.


        Housing Benefits and help with rent costs

        Universal Credit

        Universal Credit is live in the Thanet district and this means you should visit the Department of Work and Pensions if you need to make a new claim for benefits.

        Help with rent costs

        Housing Benefit rules have changed if you’re working age (18 to 65) and would like help with your rent costs.

        You can no longer claim housing benefit from the council unless you’re:

        • living Temporary Accommodation provided by us
        • living in Supported Accommodation

        In all other cases you will have to claim help with your rent costs as part of a Universal Credit claim with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

        Housing Benefit

        Housing Benefit helps you pay your rent if you are on a low income. The amount of housing benefit you get is worked out by looking at:

        • how much money you have coming in;
        • your circumstances and the amount of rent you have to pay
        • the amount of savings you have. You need to have less than £16,000 savings to qualify. But you may have more savings than this and still get Housing Benefit if you or your partner get the guaranteed part of Pension Credit

        Use the benefit calculator to see what help you can get. You can also use our self help tool which will enable you to see your income and expenditure, click here for more information.

        Help & support

        Did you find this page useful?